Information taken from AKC's website:
The Benefits of Training
Training classes teach you how to best communicate with your puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity for your dog to socialize with other dogs. In classes aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction, you’ll be able to get information on all of your puppy-raising questions including housetraining, chewing, and the most effective way to teach practical skills such as coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC® Canine Good Citizen® Program.
How It Works
When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program.
You'll attend any puppy or basic training class at least 6 weeks. Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the end of the course. Upon passing the test, you'll get an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program including purebreds and mixed breeds.
Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal (for display or memento purposes; not suitable as a collar tag). You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records. In addition, so that you can continue learning, you’ll receive our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy package that includes:
A beautiful, frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
AKC Puppy Handbook, a valuable resource
Discount to enroll in AKC Companion Animal Recovery Corporation, a 24-hour recovery service
Ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter: Your AKC. This includes training tips and up-to-date information every dog owner needs to know. We want you and your puppy to continue learning beyond puppy classes.
Test Items and Pledge
A key component of the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppysm Program is a responsible owner. Our Canine Good Citizensm Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge is for the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppysm Program too. Responsibility should start the moment you decide to add a new dog or puppy to your family.
AKC CGC Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
I will be responsible for my dog’s health needs. These include:
routine veterinary care including check-ups and vaccines
adequate nutrition through proper diet; clean water at all times
daily exercise and regular bathing and grooming
I will be responsible for my dog’s safety.
I will properly control my dog by providing fencing where appropriate, not letting my dog run loose, and using a leash in public.
I will ensure that my dog has some form of identification when appropriate (which may include collar tags, tattoos, or microchip ID).
I will provide adequate supervision when my dog and children are together.
I will not allow my dog to infringe on the rights of others.
I will not allow my dog to run loose in the neighborhood.
I will not allow my dog to be a nuisance to others by barking while in the yard, in a hotel room, etc.
I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog’s waste in all public areas such as on the grounds of hotels, on sidewalks, parks, etc.
I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog’s waste in wilderness areas, on hiking trails, campgrounds and in off-leash parks.
I will be responsible for my dog’s quality of life.
I understand that basic training is beneficial to all dogs.
I will give my dog attention and playtime.
I understand that owning a dog is a commitment in time and caring.
20 STEPS To Success: The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppysm Test
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)
For more information, please call: